Monday, June 16, 2008

The Lessons of Seinfeld and Pop Culture

A few days before I started this blog, I created another blog. It was a personal blog that only lasted a few days before I realized it was useless to go on writing on it. One of my posts however, was a collection of Seinfeld quotes. It was titled "Top 10 Seinfeld Quotes"

For your amusement:


The sea was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli… - George


I was the best man at the wedding. If I’m the best man, why is she marrying him? - Jerry

What is a date really, but a job interview that lasts all night? The only difference is that in not many job interviews is there a chance you’ll wind up naked. - Jerry

You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It’s like, “See if you can blow this out.” - Jerry

See, the thing of it is, there’s a lot of ugly people out there walking around but they don’t know they’re ugly because nobody actually tells them. - Jerry

I will never understand why they cook on TV. I can’t smell it. Can’t eat it. Can’t taste it. The end of the show they hold it up to the camera, “Well, here it is. You can’t have any. Thanks for watching. Goodbye.” - Jerry
“I’ll sniff out a deal. I have a sixth sense.”

“Cheapness is not a sense.”
- George and Jerry

“I’m not ashamed of my body.”
“Exactly. That’s your problem. You should be.”
- Jerry and the Naked Guy

“I always get the feeling that when lesbians look at me, they’re thinking, “*That’s* why I’m not a heterosexual.”
- George

====================================

I never advertised my blog or left comments asking for people to come back. All I did was submit the Seinfeld blog post to Digg (it got 8 Diggs or so) and Google's indexing service. Yet in the last month alone, the post about Seinfeld quotes has been viewed 58 times. Fifty-eight! That shows how important the words you use are. Seinfeld is a popular search term. By using terms and references from pop culture, sports, or other popular search terms in your blog posts, you can easily draw in traffic by doing almost no work! Do a search for "Top 10 seinfeld quotes" in Google (without the quotes) and MY [old] BLOG POST is the first result.

Even though my submission to Digg garnered few Diggs, it still helped bring visitors into my blog that got the ball rolling on the blog post's rise to the top. In total, the Seinfeld blog post, which I spent NO TIME promoting except for one Digg submission and submitting the website to Google, has gotten 880 views in one year. I know that may not seem like much, but for a blog post with NO promotion or activity in over a year whatsoever, thats pretty darn good. Imagine if I HAD promoted the blog and the post.

This is part of a huge trend (which you probably already knew about). Take a look at Yahoo's most popular search terms for 2007. In case you don't want to look, here's the list:
1. Britney Spears
2. WWE
3. Paris Hilton
4. Naruto
5. Beyonce
6. Lindsay Lohan
7. Rune Scape
8. Fantasy Football
9. Fergie
10. Jessica Alba

How many of those are Pop Culture related? Next time you think about writing a blog entry, remember to drop a celebrity's name in there any time you can

Good luck blogging!

No comments:

Request Blog

If you would like me to address a certain topic or issue that concerns blogging, just leave me a comment with your question or topic request. Be sure to include your email or subscribe to my Feedblitz service so that you can be notified when I address your question.